ELA Comprehensive insights of outcomes based on AU strategic plan
Among the major characteristics of a leader is being it, developing it and eventually doing it. Emerging leaders Africa have not been exceptional. Having a responsibility to contribute and address some of the pressing issues Africa is going through, ELA has adopted African Union strategic plan (see here http://www.au.int/en/sites/default/files/The_AU_Commission_Strategic_Plan_2014-2017.pdf) on which they are using to frame policies on.
African Union Commission Strategic Plan 2014-2017 constitutes framework that outlines the overall priorities of the Commission for the four year period, and provides guidance for program formulation and prioritization. In order to achieve the African vision, the Commission is driven by the belief that the African dream of integrated continent offering secure, decent livelihoods and the free movement of people, goods and services is not only achievable but can be done in a shorter time frame thus adapting the AU strategic plan. The overall goal of having the AU strategic plan is to accelerate progress towards an integrated, prosperous and inclusive Africa, at peace with itself, playing a dynamic role in the continental and global arena, effectively driven by an accountable, efficient and responsive Commission. Over the four years of the Strategic Plan period, the Commission seeks to accelerate progress towards a stable, peaceful, prosperous and integrated Africa within a good governance environment, while paying particular attention to women, youth and other marginalized and vulnerable groups. The commission is therefore focused on addressing eight key priorities which this strategic plan has translated into concrete and annualized targets in the following key areas that impact directly on the welfare, lives and livelihoods of Africans in all walks of life.
- Human capacity development focusing on health, education, science, research, technology and innovation
- Agriculture and agro processing
- Inclusive economic development through industrialization, infrastructure development, agriculture and trade and investment
- Peace, stability and good governance
- Mainstreaming women and youth into all our activities
- Resource mobilization
- Building a people-centered Union through active communication and branding
- Strengthening the institutional capacity of the Union and all its organs.
After comprehensive discussion with the entire members, they resonated to begin elaborating two outcomes on the AU commission strategic plan, according to the time schedule. Here are the outcomes;
#4# promoting Good governance and democracy
#5# promoting Legal and Shared Values instruments, based on African and Universal instruments, particularly those focusing on the rights of women, youth, persons with disabilities and children.
Some of the actions drawn from output #4# include the following;
- Ensuring effective and full implementation and ope-rationalization of the Africa Governance platforms – AGA
- Promote public sector reform through implementation of the African Union Convention on Preventing &Combating Corruption, the African Charter on Public Service & Administration, and the norms on Decentralization and Local Governance
- Facilitate/support the work of the Africa Peer Review Mechanism APRM, and enhance the role of the AU in democracy and governance assessments
- Enhance the effective implementation of the AU norms and standards on Governance and Democracy, and in particular, the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance
- Strengthen measures to prevent and address unconstitutional changes of government and promote/facilitate the Holding of Democratically Free and Fair Elections
- Integrate governance in academic and professional education programs
- Set up and implement communication and advocacy campaigns and thematic media plans to raise awareness and ensure stakeholders’ information and citizens’ involvement and ownership
- Promote legal instruments that support justice as a means for preservation of peace and conflict resolution
We are definitely warmed up to involve our readers to read and share ideas and suggestions with us, and together will be making the African dream a reality…
Brief history of ELA
Emerging leaders Africa, is a group of vibrant young generation brought together by a common goal of developing solutions for some of the challenges facing African continent. Having met on a youth conference, you could tell how ready they all are, by the great ideas they had and the projects they have implemented in order to contribute to their societies.
I must allude that the idea of them coming together to contribute to a common goal was the best idea born from that conference. It was about that time Emerging Leaders Africa wrote about own African stories that the world know not about. Africa is blessed with riches, brilliant people, beautiful nations,rich culture, and brave emerging young leaders.
Emerging Leaders Africa,invite you to take a tour to a new Africa where possibilities are enormous and people are bound together by love of being Africans.